The goal of this site is to find as many kinds of mac n' cheese as possible and try them so you don't have to! Stove-top, frozen, quick prepare (just add water), home made and anything served in a restaurant are all fair game! If it's name has macaroni n' cheese in it, I'm trying it.

My hope is that this blog will help you discover new varieties to try (and to avoid) or that killer home made recipe that is worth the work to make yourself.

When I'm not collecting video games, I'm eatin' mac n' cheese. Thanks for following me on this journey as I see what it takes to make me bleed cheese.

Monday, June 11, 2012

There's No Party Like A Mac N' Cheese Party

People love parties and reasons to celebrate.  When people gather you can almost guarantee that food will be a central part of the experience.  Events that have lots of attendees usually start off with appetizers before the main meal.  I can't say that I would be serving mac n' cheese at a party I'm hosting (though I'd try now that I've got this blog running), but I may try to find a way to squeeze it in as a side dish or as some kind of appetizer. 

While wandering the frozen aisles today I stumbled onto some potential options that could be great additions to your next party, that is of course if they rate good enough.  Let's find out!

The Review

Brand
:
Market Pantry Macaroni & Cheese Bites



Price:
$2.66 at Target (Market Pantry is a Target Brand)

Packaging Description:
None

Preparation:
*Pre-heat the oven to 450

*Place the bites on a baking sheet or other oven safe tray of some kind.  I recommend that you lay foil down over the tray to help with any potential bites that pop open.

*Once the oven has heated up place them in and cook them for eight to ten minutes.  I set the timer for five and flipped them before cooking them for the remaining five.



*You'll know they're cooked when you check on them and see that they've started to ooze their cheesy insides.
*After you've taken them out of the oven, let them cool for a few minutes.
*Commence with the nomming!

Taste:
Pulling these out of the oven I smelled mac n' cheese so we were off to a good start.  These little breaded triangles were crunchy and inside was what looked to be Kraft mac n' cheese.  These weren't terribly cheesy but there wasn't any doubt that these were filled with mac n' cheese.  Not too salty and the crunch was good out of the oven.  Sometimes when you reheat make these finger foods (especially the fried ones) in the oven they don't always translate well.

Final Score:
Finger foods can be a dangerous treat.  Small, a few bites and before you know it you're reaching for another one because that one is already gone.  These guys are interesting and I don't know who decided that breading mac n' cheese and then frying it would be a good idea, but we've got fried Twinkies and fried Coke so whoever it was felt the need to try it.  These would have been much better with some cheesier sauce but as they were they weren't too shabby.  Not really worth the calories, but appetizers rarely are.  I might offer these on a appetizer platter, but they wouldn't be a main item.











Nutritional Facts:
Serving Size 4 pieces (90g)
Servings Per Container About 2 (my package had 2.5 servings)

Calories  240  Calories From Fat 110
Total Fat 12g (18% Daily Value)
Saturated Fat 5g (25% DV)
Trans Fat 0g (0% DV)
Cholesterol 25mg (8% DV)
Sodium 660mg (28% DV)
Total Carbohydrates 26g (9% DV)
Dietary Fiber 1g (4% DV)
Sugar 3g
Protein 8g

1 comment:

  1. I've tried these before, there's something just straight-up tasty about Fried and Breaded Mac N' Cheese. Not the greatest thing ever, but a nice party appetizer for sure.

    ReplyDelete